The Next 5 Years

On April 12, 2012, The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation initiated a challenge to staff, doctors, researchers and donors to raise $1 billion over five years—$500 million from philanthropy and $500 million from research grants. This is the largest single fundraising campaign in the history of Canadian healthcare.

Dr. Robert Bell, CEO of the University Health Network, summed up the need for this challenge very simply by saying, “When I began my career 25 years ago, 90 percent of my sarcoma patients would die within two years.  Today, I’m happy to report that 75 percent of those patients are cured of their cancer. And this challenge is to bring the tools of personalized cancer medicine to bear on those remaining 25 percent of patients that we need to cure.”

Overall 64 percent of cancer patients survive their disease for at least 5 years with most being cured, but some types of cancer—for example, lung cancer and pancreatic cancer—are still very deadly, and more effective detection methods and treatments are needed.

The Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute, which is affiliated with the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, is proud to lead in the research that will pave the way for the next generation of cancer care—Personalized Cancer Medicine.  Our scientists and lead investigators are working daily with doctors and clinicians to develop and test new therapies and procedures in order to raise the standard of care for cancer patients.  We share a common focus to:

DETECT cancer earlier before it can spread
DIAGNOSE it more precisely, so the optimal treatment is prescribed
TARGET treatment in a way that spares healthy tissue, and
SUPPORT patients and their families throughout their emotional journey with cancer